Friday, July 15, 2016

Pints: Jarrylo Ale #2

No special goal for this batch.  I wanted to use up my last packet of jarrylo, but did not want to recreate exactly jarrylo ale #1 (even though it was delicious!).  Although, in retrospect, it would have been a good test of my process; to see if I can make the same beer twice and have it be consistent.  To make it a little different, I used pilsner malt and threw an ounce of citra into it.  I was originally going to use the citra for a dry hop, but decided at the last minute to throw it in at the end of the boil.  The end result will probably be a little closer to a pale ale than a blonde, but I think it will taste okay in either case.  This beer will be the second I've brewed with the Omega labs Hot head yeast.  I was quite pleased with the results of the first batch, even though I have not tasted it chilled and carbed.  It fermented quickly and cleanly at quite a high temperature, and it had a very tasty fruit character in the uncarbed samples I tried.
Ingredients for 2.5 gallon batch, 70% efficiency
4 Lbs Pilsner Malt
.25 Lbs Acid Malt
.25 Lbs Honey Malt
1 oz Jarrylo (14.2%AA)
1 oz Citra (14.1 AA)
Omega Labs Hot Head Ale yeast (something like a vitality starter...)
Treat 3.5 gallons water with campden
Single Infusion BIAB, 148F for 60 minutes
Mash out at 170F and squeeze the bag
45 minute boil
.33 oz Jarrylo @ 30 minutes remaining
.66 oz Jarrylo and 1 oz Citra @ 3 minutes remaining
Finishing and Fermentation:
Dump into fermentor and add yeast psuedo-starter.  Ferment at room temperature (75F+).
6/11/2016: brew day.  Started at 12:30PM. Going into the boil the gravity was about 10.5 brix. Finished at 3:30pm.  Had about a quart or so too much.  Gravity in the fermentor was 1.045.  2Tbsp of omega slurry.  Aerated with the immersion blender.  About a quart too much in the fermentor as well.  Added 5 drops of fermcap as well.  Leftover wort was stored in the fridge.  it will be reboiled, cooled, and added to the fermentor when fermentation dies down.  Fermentation started quickly.

6/12/2016:  Because there appeared to be no risk of blowout, I re-boiled, cooled, and pitched the saved wort.  Checked gravity.  It was already about 1.012.

6/16/2016: gravity is about 1.012.  Krausen is gone, but it is still bubbling slowly.

6/20/2016: gravity is about 1.011.  cold crashed.

6/21/2016: Dissolved .25 tsp of gelatin in a bit of water, heated to near boiling, and stirred in.

6/23/2016:. Put on gas to force carb for 12 hours at 35psi.

6/27/2016:. Tasting. Very light looking with a white head.  Good lacing.  Bit of pear or Apple on the nose with some a touch of must.  Very light flavor, first a juicy hop flavor comes through with the expected tropical fruitiness of citra.  Very little bitterness.  Grainy breadiness on the back end.  Slight astringency...over pretty good.  Very refreshing.

7/11/2016:. Another tasting.  Crystal clear at this point.  Really doesn't have much smell.  I think the citra has subsided now.  Kind of tart now, definitely a flavor of lime rind in it with the bitterness of it as well.  Almost tastes like a mild sour... not sure if it's just the yeast esters or there is a slow infection.  If there is it is the good kind, not nasty at all.  Quite refreshing, light and drinkable. The breadiness has almost completely faded.  Slightly concerned that the slurry is contaminated.
Again, at least it looks nice...


No comments:

Post a Comment